This past weekend has been a wonderful and yet crazy blur. Ford had a few MINOR complications during birth and we've been having to work through them slowly but surely. To make a very long story short -- meconium was present in my amniotic fluid during labor (meaning Ford had a bowel movement in my uterus) on top of that, the doctors underestimated his size, so my active labor (Ford's time in the birth canal) lasted much longer than they anticipated---they just let me keep pushing and pushing and pushing thinking he would crown any minute, unfortunately he was just too big for my small frame! Finally after three hours of extensive pushing and no progress, the doctor performed an episitomy and removed Ford with forceps. Had they known his size, they would've done an episitomy WAY sooner and in all actuality probably would have had me deliver via cesarean.... Yep, he's one BIG baby! And Mama is on sore woman!!!!!
Post birth, his initial examination looked good and he scored a 9/9 on his APGAR making the doctors think all was well and maybe we were in the clear. However during further examination, they found a pretty good amount of fluid in his lungs (due to his extended stay in the birth canal) but it didn't appear that the fluid was tainted with meconium- so all and all, he was looking good and treatable...... But then, while he was still in the nursery, Ford's oxygen count dropped a few times and it never made it back where they wanted it to be. They decided Ford was not quite ready to be released into my room, so was sent over to the NICU for further observation and treatment for his lungs. He progressed well and as of today all of the fluid is now gone from his lungs. Thank goodness.
However, there was/is still the question of leftover bacteria in his lungs..... after much deliberation and discussion the doctors have decided to keep Ford for an additional five days and administer a prophylactic antibiotic, just in case. To put it into context, if an adult has a sinus infection, the doctor would give you an antibiotic and you'd get better. Well, Ford can only take antibiotics through an IV, so they need to keep him until Saturday to complete his full round of antibiotics for his "possible" bacterial infection.
With all that being said, although he's on the mend, we won't be able to take him home until Saturday. I cannot express to you how hard it is to prepare and leave tonight knowing that my little guy has to remain behind hooked up to an IV. I am literally tearing up while writing this. I know it is the right thing to do and that he's going to be fine, but gosh as a new Mom the last thing I want to do is leave him all alone..... this is so hard.
Thank you all for your continued love and support. I'm sorry I haven't been much for talking the last two days, like I said, it's been exhilarating and wonderful being a new Mom, but also overwhelming. Having to make all of these essential medical decisions so quickly while trying to just master the "diaper" and all the other normal New Mom things has been tough, but I wanted to at least fill you in on how my little man is doing. In the meantime here are a few more sweet pics of our adorable baby.....
Gosh, I can't wait to take him home.....
Is it Saturday YET!?!?!?!?!