Pages

Monday, March 14, 2011

To suburb or not to suburb, that is the question.......

So, I know, I know that many of you are reading this and your jaw is dropping. But hey, wait, let me explain...... it's not " exactly" how it may seem......

So, Tyler and I have done the suburbs in DFW and let's just put it this way, after making it through "that" I am confident we can make it through anything! We were unlucky and had a really negative experience. Our neighbors were older and awful, no one talked to us! If I was outside I'd get side way glances from my women neighbors ( I was much younger, comparatively and had no children at the time). They wouldn't so much as speak to me! My brother and sister in law ( + 4 kids) moved into our home about 3 months after we moved in while their home was being remodeled and ONLY THEN did we get "Welcome to the Neighborhood Calls." It was strange. I was miserable. In hindsight I think if we'd moved to the " younger" suburbs (Keller or Grapevine) we would have been much happier, but the neighborhood we lived in was very much " Keeping up with the Jones," not to mention EVERYTHING closed by around 9:00 o'clock at night!

*Side note: Thank goodness for Tyler's company bc aside from our realtor (who was awesome) and my brother and sister in law --his agents were are only friends! And believe me, if I hadn't had them, I may not be here to write this post right now :) Yikes! 

So anyhow, needless to say the 'Burbs left a really negative taste in our mouth.... Enter San Antonio....

We are suddenly and shockingly dancing around the idea of the 'Burbs again. Here's why:

1. It "seems" a bit different out here. There is so much going on out here, TONS of restaurants, TONS of shopping and beautiful, different looking homes with absolutely breathtaking views of the hill country.... It definitely makes you stop and think....

2. Everyone that we've met that's our age, lives out in the general area. So, that eliminates my new fear of scary stepford housewives.

3. Everything is ALOT closer in San Antonio and the traffic (though not perfect) is nothing compared to the train-wreck traffic in DFW. So we could technically be downtown in 15 REAL minutes (shocking!?)

4. It is absolutely gut-wrenching how much more you can get for your buck in the suburbs, compared to what we would live in if we choose to move closer to the city. And with the impending bambino and the amount of "stuff," I've been told they acquire, I'm thinking square footage is suddenly important.....

So, you heard it here first: This city loving, older home addict, renovating junkie may soon be jumping, eyes wide open, BACK into the Burbs....... We'll see!


To be continued......

3 comments:

  1. I hear ya on the city living! I've been in the downtown area of Charleston for several years now and I really love it. But, the older I get, the more I feel the pull towards the suburbs (I can't believe it either!).

    Good luck with the decision!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely suburbs - for my family anyways - more places for kids to play without having to worry so much...dont forget to check out my giveaway :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahem...there are a few homes for sale in our neighborhood! I promise to be a nice neighbor!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS